Skip to main content

Day 10


Today I had to explain my lab to the rest of the group. I explained the LFEPR and showed an example of a spectra being created. I also talked about how the machine works and then answered a few questions. I continued looking at the data from the x-ray fluorescence machine and then we decided to retake the standards while a large fan was running to prevent the MOUSE from heating up and affecting the data. I had to compile the standards as well. In addition, I went to see a seminar today about space weather which was interesting. The speaker talked about Coronal Mass Ejections (CME) which are huge explosions of magnetic field and plasma from the Sun's corona. He explained how CME’s have the potential to affect Earth and if large enough cause world wide damage. Due to our heavy reliance on technology a large CME would cause an overload of current in our technological systems causing them to fail everywhere and lead to disastrous problems. Also, he is currently working on a detection system for these large CME’s. The seminar was interesting as I have never learned about space weather before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Day

Today, was the final day of my internship. This was a great opportunity and I had my final presentation today.The presentations started once family members, faculty and staff, and other professors arrived and I was fourth to present. I gave my presentation and afterwards was relived that it was over. Also, congressman Joe Morelle made an appearance, which was exciting. We all got to meet with him and talk to him about the internship. Afterwards he gave a small speech and we took some pictures. Later we were all presented with our certificates of achievement. The internship was a unique and rewarding experience that will help me in the future. 

Day 12

Today one of my fellow interns described her lab group in the morning meeting. She discussed some of the code she was working on and explained different aspects of the code she was writing. Later, I started developing a method to test the effect “noise” was having on the MOUSE. The “noise” is what occurs as part of the spectra but could affect the pairwise algorithm, so we wanted to see how large an impact it was having on the algorithm. After going through some of the spectra of one of the mixtures and creating varying amounts of noise, we realized that the affect was not as large as we thought. Then I took spectra of some of the mixtures again to run in the algorithm as some of the mixture had anomalies. One of the mixtures so far of the reruns was successful as it only returned percentages of the pigments in that specific mixture, which indicates that the algorithm is working effectively.

Day 17

Today at our morning meeting we went over the last outline of a fellow intern. We discussed a little about the presentations and some suggestions. I continued working with the data and forming representations and compiled the data together. Also, I went to a masters thesis defense in the college of engineering, which was cool. The defense was about shadow detection and different algorithms of improving shadow detection in various systems. The defense also mentioned a lot about convolutional neural networks and other coding methods. Later, I worked on gathering spectra for some samples and tried to improve the MOUSE functions, so the spectra would generate more accurately.